Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Larger than life ?

stahlratte opened this issue on Dec 02, 2006 · 130 posts

pjz99 posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 8:41 AM

I think people are being a little bit unfair to Stahlratte for bringing this issue up.  Just looking at V3 you can see she's either got a) a really small head, or b) she's unreasonably tall, which is what has moved me to mess around with body scaling for my own characters in many cases (not that I'm any expert, but I know an uberly butch Amazon when I see one).  Hiding this pretty obvious visual scale problem behind "art" is nonsense.  I had thought the entire point of Victoria and Michael are that they're supposed to be as generic and "average" as possible, and to allow the user to modify from there as desired - but from the sound of some of the posters here, it would be "artistically OK" to have her head be the size of a baseball in relation to her body and some people wouldn't blink at it.  Sure people vary in size and shape, but I have to agree that the starting point is way too supermodel/basketball player in relation to most humans.

There is no reason to take a poke at a person for systematizing something like this - it doesn't make you or them any more or less correct.  People who are married to the current shape of V3 aren't morally superior for sticking to that standard, any more than someone who points out its flaws are morally inferior (or vice versa).  The "you're an engineer pretending to be an artist" comment was cheap, snooty, and irrelevant - art and engineering are both just ways of quantifying the world.  Leonardo da Vinci wouldn't have appreciated such a comment, as much as his name has been tossed around here.

ps: bigger pecs plz.

My Freebies