Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poor Poser? Urgh. Time for some tough love, kids.

Penguinisto opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 · 175 posts

ThrommArcadia posted Tue, 05 December 2006 at 3:00 AM

Billy, the opperative part SnowS's statement was "*If Max cost $150 and came with a poseable nude woman..."

*A lot of people do put V3 in high end programs and still render naked pictures of her.  Generally speaking, though, these people take the time to learn the program as you would expect from someone who is williing to set down big bucks to do.

I have Carrara, Hexagon, Bryce, 3D Studio Max and I still find myself rendering and creating things in Poser.  I use these other applications (well, mainly 3D Studio) for my professional work and it is a lot more boring than what I create in Poser (Flying logos, animated transitions and such for TV).

I will concede that Poser's (and Daz Studio's) accessibility does result in a poliferation of amateur results.  I will also concede that the artist might want to think twice before trying to show these results in a professional gallery and that an artist might want to take criticism and try and grow from it.

I will also add that those doling out criticisms should maybe be a little less heavy handed and a bit more encouraging.  Earlier in this post someone connected the early or less refined works to sketches, and I think this is a good analogy.

Poser is not my professional medium.  I know my results are not at a point where they may be publishable or comparable to professionals.  I don't expect that I should be treated as an equal, but I do expect to be treated as a human being.

Renderosity and it's contemporaries exsist as a place where everyone is on an equal playing field.  This is a place where we should welcome newcomers and while we can offer tips and techniques, none of us are qualifed to tell anyone what they should or should not post (within the TOS, of course, and then, that is best left to the mods).

It might be nice to see galleries divided into experience or "skill levels", but this would still have to be left as the choice of the artist.  I'm afraid I'd see a lot of top notch artists trying to be humble and posting in the "amateur" section while a lot of artists who still have a lot to learn would put themselves in the "advanced".  In the end, it is subjective.