Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poor Poser? Urgh. Time for some tough love, kids.

Penguinisto opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 · 175 posts

Tiari posted Tue, 05 December 2006 at 6:27 PM

Sometimes I think the problem is the moniker put on it "Artist".  Photographer, playwrighter, actor, painter....... or 3d/CGI....... guess what, all art.

When i started using poser, I thought my work was utterly brilliant....... when now i look back, eeeeeeghads what was I thinking?  It was actually that, over time, looking back, that I said, "Oh god I have to do better than this!!"

I started with poser, photoshop and a wacom tablet, and bryce, because working in oil pencils and coals was...... pretty problematic with two small inquisitive (and dare i say artistic?) children.  Picture the walls, you get the idea.

After realizing, oops, plastic, and making other notations such as sun is coming from the right but in this render I have the light coming from the left......... it was time to fix this.

I scoured the web, renderosity in particular and the tutorials were a BLOODY GOLD MINE.  Step by step...... and I had been an artist before, on paper with pencils....... now?

My office looks like a high tech lab, LOL.  My kids are as fascinated with the wacom as they were with the pencils, but they can't figure it out to save their lives! yay!.

From using plug ins and copy/paste hair to..........dare i say it, painting strand by strand, wow, what a difference.

It takes time and i'm no where NEAR perfect and at many shrines of art in the galleries i worship and am not worthy, I aspire to be like (not exact copies, just learn the techniques and run).

I find the poser proposition an interesting one, and justhad a post because on another art site, the method, not the art, was more critiqued.

I can stand to hear "lighting stinks....... god what color choice?" you know, somethings technically or artistically WRONG.  But "how" i did it?  I'm just not used to that.

We suffer I think, because...... in the non computer life, a new artist, say a teen, draws an image of their favorite game character off a CD case or whatever..... and shows all his friends.  Its rough, its new, he's never drawn before....... some say its crap, some say its great, and he tries again.

The problem is with poser, when we show things online, in galleries, the new user and the old hat........ we are all just lumped in like one person.  There's no mercy for the new user anymore, lol.  Its true, but we all start with crap.  God knows I did.

But...... what if there's 1300 new poser users posting thier masterpieces in deviant art?  At elfwood?   These are people used to seeing line drawings or oil paintings, not new 3d users.

Some are just, bloody harsh.