Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poor Poser? Urgh. Time for some tough love, kids.

Penguinisto opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 ยท 175 posts

Dale B posted Wed, 06 December 2006 at 6:01 AM

Boooo-HAH!!!! Nice overhand volley, TG! Y'know what the problem is here? Obsessing over title terminology and ego. Comparing websites like Rosity, CGS, Deviantart, and so on to actual museums in....shall we say....signs of hyperinflated ego? Three distinct things are being mixed up in this; craft and title and talent. I'm a writer; not an author. Why? Because I haven't sold a work for $$$. This makes me a second class citizen, despite the fact that there are published 'authors' I can write rings of prose around with 10 broken fingers and a crayon superglued to my nose. But that second class status only applies if I accept the idea that working a system to get published somehow magically grants craft skills. It doesn't from my experience, and it also tends to destroy whatever chance the victim had to improve if they do not have their head on straight and pulled out of their ass.After all, they have 'arrived'. They got the gold ring. They 'matter'. And all too many of them fossilize at that point. And suddenly find their shining reputation is that of a hack....because book 9 is obviously the exact same formula as book 8...7....6...etc. Craft has nothing whatsoever to do with title. Pure and simple, it is a matter of knowing your tools, what they can do, and what extra things you can make them do by knowing what the gray areas of their useage is. Poser in no more or no less a tool than any other CG application. Oh, by comparison its a pocketknife to the big boys swiss army knife, but that doesn't change the fact that it still can cut. How a tool is used is what determines its usefulness. The all-in-wonder tools have their uses....but they also have their liabilities. A little bit of everything can lead to a lot of nothing due to conflicts and overcomplicated methodology. A lot of Poser users have a lot of craft to learn yet, if they choose; that's a no-brainer. But with only a few exceptions, the resources that apply are either simply not there, masked in obscure terminology, or guarded from the barbarian heathens by the true believers. Which brings us to talent. The great intangible that no amount of schooling, no amount of plugins, no amount of $$$$$$$$ spent on content/application/whatever can provide. But here's the catch; no one has full blown talent. No one. Talent is like a tree; no matter =what=, you always start as a little nut in the dirt. I tripped over my writing talent quite by accident in high school. My worst subject was always engligh...mainly because it was always grammar, and for most real world situations, knowing how to split a participle just isn't all that important. But senior year, we were given a class long creative assignment; the old list of unrelated words to somehow work into something. A speech, short story, whatever. And the nut sprouted from the providing of a little bit of water and sunlight. But that tree of talent will only grow so long as it is given nourishment to grow...and faced with the storms of challenge to give it a reason to grow. Using the camera/photographer analogy: Whether you are an artist or a shutterbug pretty much depends on which clique you are with at the moment....and if your ego is halfway sane, irrelevant. Cliques by their nature are bigoted entities. Craft is learneable. It may be hard to juggle all the possible settings if all you ever used was granpas old Brownie, but it can be done if you put your mind to it. Talent the intangible. Yes, a chimp may be able to push that button, but it would be a random event. Talent is what makes a human able to wait, and watch, until something deep inside says 'now', before they push that same button. Directed vs Random. That is the difference.