Forum: Photography

Subject: what do you do when you decide its a day to shoot?

vulcanccit opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 · 21 posts

TerraDreamer posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 8:11 PM

Quote - Curious to know what you all do when you decide to go out and shoot?  Do you pick a place and just go for it?  Do you drive around and randomly stop and shoot?  I guess its a hard question to answer, and would depend on really all kinds of things.

Not a hard question at all.  My problem is, I'm indecisive.  I can't just get up, go out and shoot.  I have to be pre-planned.  So what I'll do is spend a Saturday driving around with a map searching for places that seem like good photo opportunites.  If I find one I'll mark it on the map and also search for good places to park the car at the same time.  I'll spend four or five hours doing this, usually with my wife with me as navigator, plus it's always a nice drive.  The next day, weather permitting, I'll leave very early in the morning and head for the first target, shoot, then head for the next.  My wife rarely goes with me, but always has a thermos of coffee for me, bless her heart!  I'm usually done by 10:00 AM as the light is no good after that.  If I have time in the evening I'll go out again to what may be remaining, but usually wait until the following weekend as I prefer to shoot in the morning hours.  Other times I'll just to drive to a wildlife refuge or other well-known place for scenery, and be there at dawn.  But no matter what I do, I always pre-plan the outing.

Quote - I remember in the old days, i could go anywhere public and shoot.  Nowadays, Malls, public places seem to be off limits due to so many worries.  How do you all combat this?  Just go to the wilderness?

I'd say at least 50% of my photography is street shooting...discreet or otherwise.  I have no fear of doing this as I usually don't make myself obvious.  If I'm in a public place, I'm completely legal in doing so, but then again, I don't go to playgrounds to shoot, either.  If I find a subject where I think it would be a better shot if they were aware of the camera, I'll simply ask.  And surprisingly, I'd say at least 4 out 5 will be fine with it.  And yes, some people will get pissed-off.  I never, ever shoot children without asking permission in any instance.  Most of my street photography is done with one of my E-1 cameras and don't usually include people other than them simply being within the frame or unless I have a long lens and can be sneaky, but if I'm shooting specifically people, I'll use a Sony point and shoot.  Otherwise, it's awfully hard to hide 4 pounds of camera :) 

I can understand the Mall security speaking with you, as a mall is not a public place; it is private property.  Your rights as a photographer end as soon as you walk in.

Regards,

Steve