Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poor Poser? Urgh. Time for some tough love, kids.

Penguinisto opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 · 175 posts

Rondino posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 1:28 PM

Quote - in ref. to: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2674155  Use a pencil and a sketch pad and use stick figures to explain it on paper to yourself if you can't draw. * make your own skin texture sometime. See how it turns out. No, seriously... try it sometime. I realize that half the merchants in here can't even do that without buying/swiping someone else's 'resource kit', but this'll be your golden opportunity to shine, and to do something useful. * Okay, if that was too tough, then how about making your own clothing textures? Don't even bother using someone else's. While you're at it, make your own transparency maps for them, and turn what you've got into whole different clothing... the things are damned easy to make, y'know? ...someday, you might even go through life without ever having the humiliation of buying a 'texture pack' again. * make your own unique character from a base figure, without resorting to buying someone else's and then just tweaking a few dials. Please. For me? * get a free modelling program (Wings ferinstance, or Amapi), and build your own set, your own props. It doesn't require a degree in graphic arts to build a few primitives tweaked out to resemble whatever it is you're trying to make. Once you've mastered that, get some clothing together, and make a bit. This way you don't have to go out and buy a bit of clothing and the 48 zillion add-on texture kits for it just to try to stand out.  /P

I must say I am amazed at how illogical those who make this type of rant are.    And to think 
you are complaining about other peoples logic!  So here is some tough love for you. 

First, I am not a kid.  Second where do you get off telling everyone what they should do with thier free time?    

In the thread you linked the guy said he does not model and is not interested in modeling.   What part of that do you not understand?  Poser is not even a modeling application.  Keep in mind that for many poser users: 
THE BEAUTY OF POSER IS THE FACT WE DON'T HAVE TO MODEL.    THE BEAUTY OF POSER IS WE DO NOT HAVE TO CREATE OUR OWN TEXTURES.  THE BEAUTY OF POSER IS OTHERS HAVE DONE THIS FOR US SO WE CAN SPEND OUR TIME DOING WHAT WE REALLY WANT TO DO IN 3D.  

I put this in caps becasue I think it may sink in better than when the other fellow said it in lower case.   

There are those who have plenty of time but no money and then there are those who have more money than time.  The latter group can use poser to do things like create animations and scenes without having to learn how to make a decent model. 

You talk fondly of the past.  Back then people with poser had to spend allot of time to make an image/animation look as good as it would be now in a short time.   You admire that.  Guess what?  I couldn't care less what you admire.  I'm glad things look good in a shorter amount of time and require less technical know how.   I am confident that trend will continue.

Guess what else?  As technology grows there will be more and more people like me.   You can continue to grumble like a old fusspot for the rest of your life, or you can accept that technology will improve and people with no interest in modeling or creating models will be joining the 3d community. 

You might wonder: What could these people possibly want to do if not create thier own models and thereby get the admiration of folks such as yourself?

Well if you actually read what you were responding to, the guy you linked to said he is interested in animation and creating animations.   He is like me.  Perhaps you should look at people like him and myself this way:  We woudl like to write and direct the movie but not have to be the costume designer.    Did Steven Spielberg stitch every piece of clothing used in the movie E.T.?  Did he himself apply everyones makeup and manufacture E.T.'s costume?  

I don't care whether you believe Steven Spielberg is an artist or not.  Nor do I care whether you admire what he and other directors do. (perhaps in your mind only the costume designers are worthy of admiration, whatever I don't care.)  But if you accept the fact that some people in the 3d world now want to do what Spielberg does as opposed to what the costume designers do, then you will not find yourself getting so "torqued off."  

We don't want to do the same things you are interested in doing.  Sorry, if this bothers you but there really is no reason to get mad about it.   And yes its completely irrational for you to get torqued about it.  

Creating models for a 3d animation and writng and directing a 3d animation are simply two different interests.

You tell poser users to think of a good story before they do thier animation.  Well guess what?  you have to do that no matter what software you use.   I have seen plenty of bad animation made with non-poser applications.  Learning how to make your own models in LW3d or Wings will not make your plot better.  In fact taking time to learn those programs will simply take time away from your story creation.    Poser is for people who want to spend the most time on the story and directing part of 3D animation.  No other software I am aware of does better at that then poser.

And one more thing please.... please..... stop telling others what they should be doing with thier free time.  Most of us are not "Kids" who need to be told what to do.