Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 7 First impressions

tbird10 opened this issue on Dec 12, 2006 · 37 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:50 AM

Thanks for the renders.

Wow, that third picture with the nostril glow is so Poser. They didn't do anything smart at all - people are still going to load a figure, push Render and get that sort of thing. No wonder Poser gets no respect in the CG community. After seven iterations, you'd think the lighting model would be just a teensy bit like all the other apps.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Poser. I can easily do the most crazy complicated shaders in Poser with ease. I love the shading model. But the lighting is lame. I hear P7 can do better than P6, but out of the box that looks exactly the same. So far I have not seen a single image from P7 that looks like it is from a modern lighting engine.

Consider this pair of renders (click to see detail). On the left is a P6 render, the result of hours of work in the material room, tweaking lights, and adjusting shadow parameters, plus a good 15 minutes to render.  On the right, I loaded Vicky into Modo, spent about 30 seconds changing a couple specular values, did not adjust the lights at all, and rendered in about 45 seconds.

Sigh.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)