Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poor Poser? Urgh. Time for some tough love, kids.

Penguinisto opened this issue on Dec 04, 2006 · 175 posts

MoxieGraphix posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:59 AM

I did a panel at Dragon*Con one year.  I went toe to toe with Janny Wurtz in a cleverly titled battle called "Is Digital Art Really Art?"  Fortunately, her biases against the ENTIRE  medium (Not just talking about poser art here but digital art over all) made most of my arguements for me.

There's a crap load of bad Poser art out there, nobody will deny that.  For every 'wow, that's incredible' piece there are at least three dozen completely crap pieces (some of them are even mine!).  It's no wonder it gets a bad name.  I spent a lot of time myself, at art shows and conventions, slowly changing people's minds about the medium.  I was accepted by a lot of really talented artists as 'one of them' even AFTER they learned my process and how I don't create all my damn textures by hand or model my own models. 

It's attitude, talent and vision that will set the 'artists' apart from the hacks.  Me, I'm a hobbyist really.  I stopped doing commercial art some time ago because it's much more fun to create for myself.  I might start showing again, eventually, because I miss my friends.

While I see Penguinisto's point, underneath the vitriol and obvious disdain he has, there are better ways to go about making it.  Dropping a bomb and running away isn't a good way 😉  It's classic internet troll behavior and, quite frankly, something I would have thought he'd be above.