Forum: Community Center

Subject: Slow site ..Slower site .. Slowmotion Site ... THIS SITE ... Why ?

BAR-CODE opened this issue on Dec 03, 2006 · 35 posts

Hawkfyr posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 3:51 PM

I'll take a stab at this Kind Soul.

Your "Physical" location (as well as others) can (and does) play a significant role in the response of a given site you are trying to access.

Your ISP, is really just the starting point of the journey.

When you request a url (Visit a website), the route in which it takes to get to that site, may (and does) differ from site to site.

For Example:

Lets say you want to go to the 3DCommune.

The journey there from your PC goes though  your ISP, and a path is chosen to take you there.

That path goes through several "Routers" that direct your request to it's final destination (In this case...the 3DC)

The routers that your request travels through, may be un-clogged, and extremely fast.

On the other hand, if you want to got to Renderosity, the "route", could ( and likely is) a different path, and may encounter "clogged" routers along the way.

I could be next door to Renderosity's servers, but my request for the site, may bounce me around the country (or even the world) through many routers along the way,before it finally completes my request.(Loads the site)

Alternatively, I could be on the other side of the planet from the 3DCommunes servers, and the path chosen to take me there could (and likely will) take me through a totally different set of routers, to fulfill my request,ultimately taking me to that final destination.

That path, may take me through un-clogged routers along the way, and I'd arrive at my destination (The 3CD) faster, even though I'm on the other side of the planet from it's servers.

So... as I mentioned earlier, I'd be interested in finding the common element, that determines why some folks report glacial speeds while others report blazing fast speeds.

The only thing that makes sense to me,( and I'm no expert) is that the ISP of  those experiencing slowness, is taking a different path, than those, who are not.

(Not the ISP's fault either... it's simply choosing what it thinks is the best path between your PC, and the site you requested)

Those paths, may have clogged routers along the way.

But then again, I could be grasping at straws...All I know is, my PC's are relatively average, as far as memory, CPU's, etc. and I experience no speed problems, while others,( who have PC's I only wish I had as far as memory, CPU's etc). Do experience speed problems.

Again,I'm not expert, but it seems to me, that it's a matter of location, and the path(s) taken to complete the URL request to Renderosity for those folks who are experiencing slowness, are encountering clogged routers along the path.

Site programming "Could" play a role, but why then would some experience problems, while others experience none?

If it was site programming, then "Everyone" would experience the same problems.

Anyway..I do empathize with those having problems, but it is less likely that it is a "Renderosity Problem", or a "System Configuration Problem", but rather "The Path" that your ISP is choosing to take to get here.

I hope that at least sheds some light on what the problem "Might" be.

Oh...and here is the Dead Horse pic.

We all know...it will be needed again.

8 )

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”