Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Quad core and Poser 7

Ridley5 opened this issue on Dec 12, 2006 · 98 posts

rcr62 posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 1:27 AM

Quote - I took a look at Micro$oft to see what they have to say. Basically here's a quote of how their licensing works.

*For most currently shipping Microsoft software with processor limits, each processor counts as a single processor regardless of the number of cores and/or threads that the processor contains. For example, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition can be used on a four-processor system, whether the processors in the system are single-core, hyperthreaded, or multicore.

This would indicate that there is a difference between the Intel Quad Core and the AMD Quad Core. The Intel is 4 cores on one physical chip but the AMD is 2 dual cores on 2 chips. From an OS standpoint you should be able to run 8 Intel cores (on 2 chips) but only 4 AMD cores (also on 2 chips).

Nope urbanarmitage marvo was right on the money with this above quote (I was wrong in my frist post, I also thought you needed a server os to see four cores).  Doing some more digging in articles has born out exactly was marvo said.  The quad core chip from intel is seen by the OS as a single chip. 

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." -Desmond Tutu