Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Body Shadows

sdraun opened this issue on Dec 19, 2006 · 12 posts

sdraun posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 12:57 AM

Quote - unfortunately, proper use of light and shadow in poser requires alotta experience and expertise, which needs several chapters of a manual to properly explain. see the poser gallery here for hundreds of thousands of examples of bad lighting and shadows. depending on poser version, read up on image-based lighting or global illumination (GI) in yer various manuals (I don't have iclone, but GI is covered in carrara). read all the recent threads here with keyword "lighting". we useta fake GI in older versions of poser by having a set of about 30 dim universal (infinite) lights, and there may be some of those sets in freestuff here. the disadvantage is that poser can become somewhat slow and unstable with that many lights.

Hi Miss Nancy,
Your words are not wasted on me. I have experimented by placing 4 white spot lights front, back, and left and right about mid body and then changed them to infinite lights. This lights up James (head and shoulders) pretty good. But when I switched to Jessie I got ugly shadows on the shoulders. So I install lights above the head point them down and on the ground and point them up and make them infinite and tweak and tweak but…
I am not interested in stills just movies interested in making movies. I am waiting for Poser 7 which may make animation movies a little more interesting and by using mostly 2D backgrounds and only one or two characters I should be able to keep rendering times down to 1 or 2 minutes a frame. Unless I use 30 lights! Is there some other way to achieve Global Illumination without 30 lights? You said you could fake it with 30 lights what’s the real way? How can I make a movie using 30 lights? If I give up perfection is there a more practical way. Perhaps a set of lights for sale that produces Global Illumination with only a few strategically place lights? 
Steve