Forum: Vue

Subject: cpu and video card

artleon opened this issue on Dec 14, 2006 · 18 posts

svdl posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 3:26 PM

Actually, the exact type of RAM doesn't matter all that much. The V6I tests by louguet (spelling?) indicate that buying expensive fast RAM will only gain you 1-2% of rendering performance.

So straight-on DDR400 or DDR2-533 will do the job. You can have a lot more RAM for the same money - you don't have to spend it on fast DDR2-667 or DDR2-800.

And a tip for the CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700. Only slightly more expensive than the E6300, and significantly faster. It's not the absolute fastest CPU around, but the Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 is far more expensive, and only a little faster than the E6700.

Amount of RAM: if you're going to use Vue 6 Infinite and a 64bit OS, as much as the mainboard can hold. 4 GB is good, 8 GB is better. And if you can afford 16 GB, more power to you!

That's why the MacPro is a VERY interesting machine these days. The mainboard can hold 16 GB, and it can hold 2 Xeon Core 2 Duo CPUs, giving you 4 cores to render on. It can run both Mac OSX and Windowx (also XP 64bit, as far as I know. Vista will run). 

I can heartily recommend running Vue 6 Inf 64bit on Windowx XP 64 bit. I now can create and render scenes that were completely impossible under a 32bit OS.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff