Forum: Photography

Subject: Fast Lens Users..Does an f/2.8 take cleaner pic at f/4 than an f/4 lens?

TomDart opened this issue on Nov 28, 2006 · 48 posts

TomDart posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 8:47 PM

Your camera has a built-in lens.  I thought you were going for a modified lens to replace the current one...not a direction to go considering price and that did not make sense.  There are add on telephoto converter lenses available.  Remember what Danny said about the converter possibly blocking some key functions of the camers simply by size and being in the way. For macro photography, there are "diopter" lenses which go on the front of the original lens like a camera lens filter.  I think you are familiar with that from what you said.

A slr (single lens reflex camera) or other camera that uses removable lenses is one thing. Another lens is attached instead of the one being used on the camera. With a built-in lens, you need a converter of some sort, like the diopters used for macro shots.  

One telephoto converter is the TC-DC52A teleconverter, by Canon. This extends the zoom by 1.75 times.  For instance, if the normal lens is at 100mm, the converter sees it like 175mm, yes, a closer view by about 1 1/2x more.    A company named raynox also sells telephoto converters for camera with built-in lens.    

Don't expect the world to come really, really close this way.  It will be closer but not like using binoculars or a telescope, not nearly that.   If 100mm like 2x normal, then 175mm is like 3 1/2x normal.   Whew, now I am confused myself...hope this helps a little in terminology.   

Long day, still trying to recover from Christmas in the jewelry biz...see ya later.  I have to get to zzzzzzzzzzzland.       Tom.