Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Do you have a hard time finding things in Poser once they've been installed?

jhustead opened this issue on Jan 01, 2007 · 26 posts

Acadia posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 2:17 AM

Quote - I have this problem a lot of losing items in the runtime directory of Poser. So I'm not quite sure where to look for certain things once they've been downloaded and installed/unzipped. Does anybody else have this problem? If so how did you solve your dilemma?

-James

PS I'm looking for the morphing fantasy dress. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=9060

I used to lose things all of the time and became so frustrated that I gave up on Poser a number of times and uninstalled it.

I tried a number of ways to sort my content, and finally settled on Multiple Runtimes.

I currently have about 40 runtime folders and know exactly what I have installed and where to find it.  Examples of some runtimes that I have:

V3 Character addons (includes the install of V3 and her morphs)
V3 Clothing
M3 Character addons
M3 Clothing
Aiko
Plants
Backgrounds/Environments
Angels and Faeries
Mermaids
Christmas
Halloween
Lighting
Poses
Props
Hair
Vehicles
Animals
Miscellaneous (for anything not large enough to warrant having  it's own runtime IE: Millennium Dragon)

A runtime is a runtime is a runtime. They are all set up using the same structure and they all function the same. All an "external" runtime is is a runtime folder that sits outside of your Poser folder. It doesn't need any special consideration and it doesn't need any special set up or any special way of installing the folder. You treat it just like you do your main Poser runtime. 

Another way you can do it is instead of using multiple external runtimes, you can set up separate sub folders inside your main Poser library folders.

For example, inside the library/character folder, you could set up sub folders for:

V3 Clothing
M3 Clothing
Aiko
Plants

*You can further sort them by adding more sub folders to the inside of those, for instance:

Inside the V3 Clothing folder you could create sub folders for each outfit*

In the library/pose folder you could set up sub folders for:

V3 Clothing
M3 Clothing
Aiko
Poses

*You can further sort them by adding more sub folders to the inside of those, for instance:

Inside the V3 Clothing folder you could create sub folders for each outfit: For example:

Morphing Fantasy Dress
Morphing Cocktail Dress
Morphing Starlette Dress
etc
etc
etc

Then when you install a texture for those outfits you put the texture inside the folder for the dress/outfit it belongs to. This way all of your textures for the MFD are inside the folder called "Morphing Fantasy Dress" and way easy to locate :)

*Another thing I do to help me find things is naming continuity.  I discovered quickly that merchants don't always name their folders the same thing from one library folder to the next. That doen't help me to find something when the folder inside the character folder is called "jane's dress", while the folder inside library/poses is called "dress MATS" or "smith_dress".  So I rename ALL of the folders that the item is creating  to something I will recognize when I look at it IE:  "Jane's Bride Gown". That way when I want to use that outfit, I can look through all of the library folders to see if I have other folders called "Jane's Bride Gown" that I know go with that dress.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi