Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How many still use Poser 6 -- Everyone at Poser 7 yet?

muralist opened this issue on Jan 06, 2007 · 44 posts

bagginsbill posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 12:38 PM

Perhaps I've not been clear.

The fact that Sydney is a figure bundled with P7 doesn't mean it only works in P7. All figures and props that work in P7 also work in P6 don't they? It's just that you don't own them unless you buy P7.

The original post said "I'm making some more figures and props -- are enough people using P6 that I should make it compatible, or can I use P7?"

My point (which may be wrong) is this: figures and props work identically in P6 and P7. It is not possible to make them incompatible. If you become convinced that you will support P6 or that you won't support P6, what would you differently? As far as I can tell, the question is meaningless, unless there is, in fact, some sort of difference. 

So my proposition was this:

1. Can somebody identify a different in figures or props P6 versus P7?
  2. If not, then the original poster is getting irrelevent answers to a meaningless question. Who cares how many of us use P6 and not P7, if there is no difference?

On the other hand, if there is a difference, not only does it matter but I'd actually like to know what new feature I could take advantage of in P7, because so far I've decided not to use it.

And the version number doesn't count, that just tells you what sort of file format you are dealing with. For example, my experience in the material room is that P6 materials, even though they can be different than P5 (there are new parameters on some of the nodes) still they are written by P6 and P5 the same way. The version number is 5, regardless of which program wrote the material file.

Also, P7 has introduced no new nodes, but again has some new node parameters, and still it is writing version 5 into the mat files.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)