Forum: Photography

Subject: How to handle commenting!

kjpweb opened this issue on Jan 10, 2007 · 32 posts

inshaala posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 8:41 AM

dont have a guilty conscience?

Basically i comment when i have the time or am in the mood to go browsing through the galleries.  I dont do it on a "if i comment for you i expect a comment from you on my stuff" reciprocal arrangement which seems to be what some people do or at least expect.  I comment on those which catch my attention and that could mean those which look interesting to me (sorry but i hardly click on flower shots unless there is something eyecatchingly different about the presentation or composition), those which look good, and those which look bad but would be easily corrected by a slight change.  I then offer my opinion on the shot in an objective manner. 

As to the volume, i think my first response is the key to that.  If i were one of those photographers who gets 30+ comments per image uploaded and i upload an image per day, i wouldnt be able to comment 30 times in reciprocation unless i just had a stock reply or didnt really think about what i was saying.  So i comfort my conscience in that when i comment it is quality not quantity...

As for you commments i would say you have nothing to worry about if you take my stance of "quality over quantity" to ease your worry that you arent doing enough.  I hold the comments you leave on my shots in high regard as you are honest about it and say what you see :)

edit: PS as i am qualified as an english teacher (and thus a stickler for obvious blunders) it has been tickling me for some time: technically there shouldn't be the second comma in your quote in your signature. Say it out loud and you will see there is no pause in that part of the sentence (although that isnt the best way of checking the need for a comma) ;) Nice quote tho, who said it?

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography