Forum: Photography

Subject: How to handle commenting!

kjpweb opened this issue on Jan 10, 2007 · 32 posts

danob posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 9:26 AM

For sure it is impossible to keep up and comment on every image that merits one... And like most things, we are prone to comment more on images that appeal to our own tastes.. Much the same way we do in any other art form.. Perhaps it must be frustrating for images of obvious high quality, that do not get as many comments as they deserve, that has to be left to whatever reason people have for not making them!! 

However, some of this is due to them not making comments to others work, as they had not received  comments themselves,  a sad state of affairs... I try and make comments whenever  I have the time, and offer any help or advice, and appreciate the way we manage this in our Gallery..  Perhaps obvious solutions to this would to not have no names to an image?? Cant see that being popular... Or have separate galleries, where people can post images that they dont feel the need for comments, or want them... I think that is also a shame if we really like the image.. Nevertheless, there are the art charts where we can add the image to our favs, and they can get some recognition there..

Some have suggested, that there is petty jealousies looming it ugly head, I dont subscribe to this point of view, but  I do think that we should not lose sight of complimenting  others efforts be they for superb quality, or to encourage members whose work is improving etc..  I can recall how pleasant it was when I first started here, when a person whose work  I admired took time to make a comment, that reflected some of my own thoughts about it.. And also inspiration to try and improve my own work.. 

We have had this debate often in this forum, so thanks for raising it again, and hope there is some feedback on this topic...

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt