Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Another funny thread about nudity

Casette opened this issue on Jan 20, 2007 · 433 posts

JimFarris posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:20 PM

Quote - All Renderosity is asking us to do is to make a tasteful thumbnail that doesn't have "in your face" boobs, butts and genitals.

Good idea.

However, in my opinion, defining a thong as nude is a bad idea, as it does not jibe with real life.

A smarter solution would have been to come up with a new category - "Revealing Clothing."  Then allow people to filter revealing or tittilating images they do not want to see.  A thumbnail of a thong-clad woman's butt could then be filtered as being "revealing."

Not that I expect anyone in charge of Rendo will listen to this suggestion, but I really feel the essential problem is you are dividing the world into two categories:  Nude and Not Nude.  And the simple fact is that, like much of reality, things are not just black and white.  A thong is not nude.  But you don't go to church wearing one, either.

Quote - Why is it so hard  to crop a tasteful portion of your image that is 200 x 200 pixels and simply upload that when you upload your nude image?

I do.  I usually crop a foot or something non-sexual.  The problem is that nobody clicks on a picture of a foot.

Quote - What is so wrong with Renderosity trying to make arriving at the gallery pages a pleasant experience for everyone?

What's wrong is the effort is doomed from the start.  

Your guidelines, though seeming sensible to you, are still outrageous by the standards of many cultures - such as most Arab cultures, where seeing pretty much any part of the female body is a sin.  Women there don't wear full-body veils in the blazing sun because they enjoy heat-stroke.  Other cultures also have limitations on what is considered "appropriate" for public viewing.

The only way you are going to come up with a set of guidelines that will make everyone happy is if you limit thumbnails and gallery images to pictures of hands and eyes only - but even then, you'll have to have rules about what those hands can be shown touching, as some cultures in the world have very strict rules about what you can touch and what you cannot.

Again:  What's wrong is that the effort is doomed from the start.  What you consider reasonable is not reasonable to all cultures in the world.  You cannot please everyone.

Quote - All revolting is going to do is shoot yourselves in the foot. One day Renderosity is going to get so sick of dealing with these types of issues and the revoltes that happen when they try and make a change to better the website and make it appear more professional and tasteful, that they may  one day decide to stop allowing nudes in the gallery period!   When something becomes too much of a headache to deal with, usually the final solution is to get rid of the problem.

In essence, you are saying "Hey, if you guys don't stop complaining, Renderosity will just punish you by banning all forms of nudity in the galleries!"

Somehow, I do not think that will happen.  I think if they took that step, they may as well just close the site, because they are going to lose the vast majority of the artist community.

Of course, considering that a thong is now considered "nude" here, I suppose you may be right, that's quite possible.
**> **Quote -

The above is my own personal opinion and not a statement on behalf of Renderosity.**

The above replies are also my own personal opinion, and I am well aware that nobody in charge of Renderosity nor anyone in the community gives a damn what I think. ;)