Forum: Carrara

Subject: Poser 7/Carrara 5 Pro

jt411 opened this issue on Jan 23, 2007 · 29 posts

DustRider posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:49 PM

I can't say that I'm surprised by  this since it took a loooong time for Eovia to get the sdk for P6.  Add to that the addition of direct import of Poser figures to C5, and DAZ purchasing Cararra from Eovia, it makes it very easy for eF to see Carrara as a competitive product.

Too bad, because I've always enjoyed using Poser, but it simply doesn't have all the tools you need for 3D.  I held off geting P7 until it was supported by CS5, so now it looks like I may not be getting P7 anytime soon, if ever :-(.  If forced to choose between the two, since I already have P6, sticking with Carrara seems to be my best choice for now.  Carrara has so many things that P7, or P7 + Vue just doesn't offer.  To replace the functionality I currently have with my CS5/Poser6/Hex1 combination with P7, I would need to get P7,  Vue Infinite, and Shade8 Pro (and maybe more??). The $$$$ cost of this option just isn't realistic right now, plus Shade and I just don't play together well.

I'm sure that this will hurt sales for both products for now, since so many people have purchased Cararra as a companion product to Poser (or visa-versa). If DAZ can implement Dynamic Hair/Cloth in DS and C6, improve the performance and handling of native import of Poser figures into CS, then DAZ will stand a chance to get a good portion of the Poser market share, and continue to expand the Carrara user base. If not, then I (like many others I'm sure) will have to look for other options to replace the CS5/P6 combination.

Personally, even though I expected this since before DAZ bought CS, I think this was a very short sighted move by EF.  Poser7 is obviously a better product than P6, especially the rendering imporvements.  But if they think that keeping P7 import out of CS will secure their market share and squash any competition, they obviously haven't taken a good look at the current role of Cararra and Poser, and the capabilities that CS gives Poser users, at a reasonable price.  I would guess there is a very small portion of the Cararra user base that use poser figures in CS, and don't own Poser. Carrara only enhances the capabilities of Poser, at a reasonable price, but doesn't replace it.  I'm not aware of anything currently on the market that can repalce the capabilities of the CS/Poser combination at a comparable price ( I may be wrong here, if I am, I hope someone will correct me).

Ok, enough ranting for one day!

DR

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......