Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Gallery Advice: Other galleries

kobaltkween opened this issue on Jan 23, 2007 · 19 posts

kobaltkween posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 10:47 AM

From MySpace T.O.S.
"..you hereby grant to MySpace.com a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the MySpace Services."
" The license you grant to MySpace.com is... sublicensable (so that MySpace.com is able to use its affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the MySpace Services), and worldwide (because the Internet and the MySpace Services are global in reach)." 

the language has notably changed recently. this was a topic of discussion not long ago, and it's a lot different than it was then.  that said, the meaning is still the same.  they can modify, copy and distribute your work worldwide and sublicense that right to other entities.  and there's absolutely no mention of medium. it now says reasons for this right, but that's spin not actual clarification of terms.

personally, i'm not comfortable giving unfettered distribution, reproduction and display rights, along with the ability to sublicense those rights to anyone else they want, to an individual or company that has made billions in an industry renowned for treating artists badly.   i don't see how them explicitly stating you can subsequently use the content you post however you like is a good thing.  frankly, i think it assumes a position of power and lays the ground work for being able to revoke that right.  most sites don't say it because they don't have to: it's the whole point of the limited, non-exclusive license.

i definitely don't like watermarking my own work in general, though i rarely mind it in others.  actually, i think it kind of made a couple of my pieces stronger and more graphic.

so, are there any galleries people would suggest?  places where people have had good experiences, or places i might not have heard of here?  something outside of runtime dna, poserpros, and here?  oh, and is it worth it to start a non-erotic gallery at the site that speaks not its name?