Forum: Community Center

Subject: New Thumbnail Policy - Please read

StaceyG opened this issue on Jan 22, 2007 · 423 posts

Giolon posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 3:55 PM

Thanks for the great reply, Stacey.  Unfortunately what you say about twisting words and context will always be true.  I can also certainly see the hesitation of having censored thumbnails flood the gallery (it would kind of defeat the purpose of banning nude/violent thumbs to obtain a more pofessional look).  While you addressed nearly everything, I think the wording of my question about the filters wasn't quite accurate enough:

Given that the filters don't actually remove any images from people's views ever since the site change over (they still appear, just with a replaced thumbnail), what is the point of the filters anymore at this point because nobody will ever at any time see nudity/violence in the thumbnails b/c of the new rule?  Do you see what I'm getting at?  All nude/violent images already have a warning tag below them, and since the thumbnails can't show the nudity or violence anymore, the "content advisory" thumbnail & filters seems redundant, no?  They have almost no effect on what the end user will see, except when the filter is enabled, users no longer get to see that tasteful preview of our "artistic ability" (and the image is already flagged for nudity underneath the thumb anyway).  Everybody, regardless of filter setting, will always see the listings for images with nudity/violence and nobody will ever see actual nudity or violence in the thumbnail for those images.  So what purpose do the filters serve anymore?   (Tangential, I know)

I haven't really given my opinion of the new rules other than the fear of more restricions coming down the road, and on the whole I'm fine with it.  The exception is the "no buttock cleft" (at all)rule.  This is something that is allowed to be shown on broadcast television during primetime.  That pretty much rules out any thong underwear if you want a pretty posterior in your thumbnail (especially if that's the focus of the image).  Half of Aery Soul's clothing, your vendor of the year, could no longer be used in thumbnails because of this.  They mostly use thong underwear with extremely low cut skirts or pants.  I find that kind of ironic.  "This is our most outstanding, popular vendor and we're giving them our site's highest honor.  However, you can no longer show 50% of their clothing in your thumbnails!". :ohmy:

I fear my presence in this thread is starting to reach the redundancy point, but I've tried to keep my questions pointed and respectul.  I'm not here to bash anybody or "fight the man" or anything.  I'm just merely trying to get to further understanding of the new rules, their purpose, and understand the seeming inconsistencies.  I hope I've accomplished this in as mature a manner as I tried to do.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤