Forum: Contest Announcements

Subject: How can anyone post poser figure as original work?

okfir opened this issue on Dec 27, 2006 · 31 posts

brain21 posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 7:25 PM

Good and bad points. It is HOW you use your tools, not what tools you are using. People who don't model should NOT be looked down upon. MY complaint here, as I previously stated, is that the site is SOO poser-centric, that even crap poser stuff thrown together "wins" over well done stuff in other programs (not just photoshop). I have seen some stuff here done with poser that was absolutely beautiful and fantastic, and most definitely art, but it's almost like the ONLY qualification in many cases is your tools (Poser in this case), and not necessarily it's artistic merit. Sometimes you look at some contests and you think "Jeez. Bert Monroy could create some work of art entirely by scratch and lose to this guy that has been using poser for like a week and obviously rendered the figure & background seperatly because the objects all have light sources in different directions." It gets frustrating for the contestands, and bewilders those browsing through and looking at the contest archives. I have seen where some creates something truly artistic and original in PS, or illustrator, painter, etc. and it "loses" to some thrown together and sloppily created poser "art" simply by virtue of the fact that it was poser art. Your bad point? Poser created images ARE art. No, they are not inherently. As YOU stated, it's not the tools, but what yopu do with them. Poser created images CAN BE art, but just cause it was made in poser doesn't mean it's art. Like Stevie Wonder said: "Just because a record has a groove don't mean it's in the groove!"

Quote - Apparently some people will never understand that art is art, regardless of the tools used. Like someone above said...it's all in how you use the tools you have, not what tools you have. everybody model their own figure? Should those who don't be looked down upon because either a) they lack the tools or b) they lack the talent...or both? That's like saying sketch artists shouldn't be allowed to display their art because painting takes or not, Poser created images are original art, no matter how much or how little time is spent creating them.