Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Another funny thread about nudity

Casette opened this issue on Jan 20, 2007 · 433 posts

svdl posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 5:10 PM

Let's try and see this situation from a business viewpoint. After all, Renderosity IS a business, and the galleries and forums are sort of a bonus, a way to lure customers to the marketplace. 
Nothing wrong with that. Just business.

Does this new thumbnail rule help Renderosity in a business sense? Will it attract more customers? Or will it chase them away?

I can't help wondering. We've seen members (=customers) pack up and leave, taking their galleries and their business with them. Which is a loss to Renderosity. On the other hand, the onslaught of T&A thumbs NEEDED to be dealt with. Not for me personally, I mainly find them boring, and a good guide to what not to click on, but plenty of members here find them irritating.

I tested the nudity filter yesterday. When it is enabled, the content advisory thumbnails pop up. I can still view the underlying image.
Now if I were browsing the galleries at work, I wouldn't want my boss to see the abundantly clear CONTENT ADVISORY warning on nine out of ten thumbnails. He'd wonder what kind of icky site I was browsing. 
Same goes for minors (though I don't know if minors here just have the nudity filter on, or that a different code base is run) - if it works the same way, they still can view nudity. Without a warning.
I'd say minors and viewers at work would be best served when the nudity filter would filter out the thumbnails leading to nude artwork.

A second group of viewers doesn't really mind nudity in art, but does not want to be hit between the eyes with blatant T&A thumbs. The new policy seems tailored towards this group. 

And a third group prefers thumbnails that accurately represents the underlying artwork, and takes the bad with the good. Truth in advertising, and so on. 

All three groups are customers of the marketplace. The new policy leaves two out of three groups out in the cold, while being a minor improvement for one group. The old policy was fairly OK for the "second group" - just enable tne nudity filter and you're done, and it was OK for the third group. For the first group, the viewers who don't want to see nudity at all, nothing has changed. They saw page upon page of Content Advisory thumbs, and they still do.

I'd suggest the following refinements to the software and the policy:

The same could be done for violence.

It would mean some database changes and quite a lot of work, but I do believe that such a refinement would benefit all members (=customers!)

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff