Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Windows Vista and Poser

Circumvent opened this issue on Jan 29, 2007 · 23 posts

Talain posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 1:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've got Poser 7 loading as I type this on a Vista test machine (at work).  So far, I'm annoyed by the constant "Are you sure you want to..." pop-up messages. 

Yes, the User Account Control in Vista is perhaps the most annoying thing Microsoft has ever introduced.  Fortunately, it can be turned off.

Welcome to the world of UNIX/Linux.  Possibly the one single positive feature of Vista is that it is actually feasible to run Windows with limited user privileges and switch to super user mode only when necessary.  Such has been standard procedure in the Unix world for years.  (Under Ubuntu, you can't even "log in" as a superuser, you use the "sudo" command for anything that requires superuser access).

The upside is that your computer is significantly more secure because much malware will not be able to do whatever it is it's trying to do because it won't have the necessary permissions to do so.  (And when you get a pop-up that says that Gator is trying to install itself, you can click no to prevent it).

Though poorly written software is probably going to make it a bitch at times.  (For YEARS now Windows programs have been doing things that would make them require higher levels of access than they should need.  i.e., storing data in the Program Files directory, something that should be a no-no, as for a limited user to write to anywhere in that folder is supposed to be absolutely forbidden).