Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: (OT) OMG! I'm returning the computer from HELL!!!!

Acadia opened this issue on Feb 12, 2007 · 116 posts

DustRider posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 12:31 AM

My first computer was a TI99A - with a whopping 64K  RAM, and a tape drive (used standard casset tapes). Got it to become computer literate (in 1981) because many jobs were advertised with "computer/programming skills a plus".

I remember spending many hours optimizing the first 640K RAM on DOS  386 PC's with QEMM to be able to run network drivers, a plotter driver, and load pcArcInfo (GIS Software), so we could run DesqView and "multitask" by editing data, or doing word processing, while we were plotting maps - almost doubled productivity!!!

Remember the old Cyrix  upgrade chips?  You could upgrade a 386 to a 486 (with on chip math co-processor), and then came the 486 to 486dx4 processors upgrades (upgraded some 25Mhz laptops with these). And the hotest word processor on the market was WordStar, and dBase was the best database software for the PC (command line rulz)!

Oh, and everyone insisted that Unix was just too powerful (i.e. memory hog) to run on a PC. Ah, those were the days ........ NOT!

Now we have Vista, which finally puts Unix/Linux in it's proper place, you just simply will never be able to run Vista on many Unix/Linux boxes (PC's that is) because they simply aren't powerful enough to run it. Hmmmmmm :-?

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......