Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Apollo Maximus 2007 is coming, and he's going to be FREE!!!

Alisa opened this issue on Feb 19, 2007 · 302 posts

jefsview posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 1:26 PM

Quote - I think Lawndart does make some valid points though.  It's always bothered me a little to see textures for a free piece of clothing immediately appear in the Marketplace by someone other than the clothing's creator. I also remember seeing Runtime DNA full of Apollo stuff, most of it being a bit too pricey in my opinion. Even if the base Apollo figure were free back then, he would certainly not have been a 'free' figure unless you wanted to use him naked. It's great that Anton will include so much stuff with Apollo's free release this time, but Lawndart is not incorrect when he says that a free figure is usually not truly free.

SnowS

Is anything in life truly Free? 

Seriously, this is a business and folks are to mostly here to make money. There have been/still are/and probably be more free stuff for most figures -- that's how artists learn to better themselves. And then there will be the paid items. 

In the past, Apollo's stuff is usually a little higher in price because he is: 1) a male figure. and 2) not affliiated with the "major" figure stores. Many didn't even include the ADS features of the base figure. And most of it was pure fantasy based. In other words: niche, niche, niche.

Here's the opportunity to correct those past... errors. No store based politics involed: he's going to be free with a large base library of creator support to get him out the gate. Time will tell how merchants will react, and what they will be comfortable with selling it for. He's still a male figure, after all. 

And I understand Teyon's and Rawnrr's concerns, but that wasn't about money -- it was about politics and other issues best left in the past. This is a fresh opportunity for everyone to start from scratch. Support Anton in this endeavor by downloading Am 2007 and, if you're a merchant, try making 1 item for him and test the waters. What could it hurt? You could make some money :) 

Apollo isn't as much as a niche anymore with his widespread exposure in Practical Poser 6 and even the 2006 release. Folks are hungry for products to be able to best utilize the figure. Real world clothing and more variety in skin textures are needed! 

So rejoice and join in the celebration. 

-- Jeff