Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Apollo Maximus 2007 is coming, and he's going to be FREE!!!

Alisa opened this issue on Feb 19, 2007 ยท 302 posts

Penguinisto posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 11:31 PM

Quote - What would be really good given Anton's generosity in this release would be to see folk make clothing etc for Apollo and also offer them for free.

I just think it would be a shame to see anyone profit from Anton's generosity.....

Heh - prepare thyself, then :closedeyes: Seriously? Good on him for letting it all out for free. If he open sources it (e.g. allows others to make/re-distribute changes made to the base mesh), even better. Dunno if it's purely altruistic or not (long story - but times have changed, so I'm willing to accept it at face value ATM), but I'm not in or around the biz at the hobbyist level anymore, so I approach this as an ordinary consumer just like the rest of the planet, and couldn't care less ab't motive. That said, I fully expect that the majority of AM stuff will be parked in the R'osity marketplace - fact of life in R'osityville and all that stuff. > Quote - Yeah i can see the angle your coming from but we may as well have said "Shame to see anyone profit from Daz's generosity" (as in M3 and V3), yet those figures have helped a whole myriad of merchants earn money from them.

To be fair, V3/M3 and the like were released as part of marketing stimulus; a bit of a different story. > Quote - I dont think that arguments like when people offer stuff up for free it hurts the commercial market really represent the situation in all fairness.

Agreed. Merchants who feel threatened by this should either ratchet up your skills to exceed the free item so as to justify cost/value (e.g. like DAZ & RDNA do), or forget it. Commercial interests are just that - and you'd better believe that the real world wouldn't have any mercy. > Quote - From what I've read at CP, Anton has left the commercial world of content creation - it's a hobby for him again.

Even better on him if that's the case. I sincerely hope it is... as much as we didn't get along, I'll be the first human being to say that the man can sling some damned top-notch mesh when he puts his mind to it. ...and if you're reading this Mr. Kisiel, let me repeat what I've said many times in this post concerning this news: Good on ye. This stuff was made to be enjoyed, period. I've long since moved back into my long-ago calling as a sysadmin, and the graphics results (and tools, OMG the tools!) that the folks I work with produce would easily beat the unholy dogsh!t of anything I've seen in Poserdom -- you and perhaps three others excepted. Our group's annual budget is prolly larger than DAZ', Zygote's, and EF's market cap ...combined. Given all that, I'm at a stage where I'm cozy with just hanging out and snarking only occasionally. Reg'ds, /P