Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Intel or AMD?

ashley9803 opened this issue on Feb 21, 2007 · 56 posts

DustRider posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 8:35 PM

Close, ERDAS Imagine, Lieca Photogrammetry Suite, Virtual GIS, ArcGIS, TNTMips, Manifold, and some open source suff :-)

Well, I was running color orthophoto mosaics, the processing took a little over 2.1 Gb RAM, and I had three days left to do it. The hottest Core2 Duo on the planet would have choked on the mosaic process with only 1Gb of RAM. I had 80+ photos (640Mb each) to run, I tested on a 3.2 ghz P4 with 1Gb RAM, took 4 hours to process 2 photos - on a 3.8Ghz P4 system with 4 Gb RAM (not mine) it took approx. half an hour to process 2 photos, The  continual thrashing of the paging file on the hard drive would have slowed the processing to an unacceptable rate, and would have taken well over the 72 hours I had, even with a Core2 Duo.  I was able to do it with the system I got in 16 hours (color balancing and edge feathering on sinuous match lines).

A faster Core2 Duo system without the proper amount of RAM, would not have been able to do the job. But, thanks to the release of the Core2 Duo, I was able to get a nice machine that did the job at a great price (I got a great deal on the AMD thanks to Intel). If I spent the exact same amount of money on an Intel system, I would have lost the contract, because I would not have made the deadline (would have only had 1Gb of RAM). A hot processor can not compensate for continual thrashing of the hard drive because you don't have enough RAM. (Yes, I did drool over the Core2 Duo systems briefly, but I simply couldn't afford one.)

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......