Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What was the point of releasing Poser 7?

Circumvent opened this issue on Mar 03, 2007 · 37 posts

Penguinisto posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 9:18 PM

Quote - I'm sure you ALL said the samething about P4, P5 & P6 when they were released.  It's the same whine, just very well scripted for every Poser forum. Go complain to e-f. Fillout bug reports. I have an old machine and know darn well I wouldn't be able to run P7 on it because my system is too old. Common sense tells me not to upgrade at this time. ;)

Dunno... Poser 5 was a morass of bugs... it was a righteous mess compared to Poser4 and Poser ProPack. Poser 6 fixed a most of them, but it ran (and still runs) fairly slow on my (then high-end) dual G5 Mac (at least when compared to D|S, though a lot of that is just MHO...) Poser 7 I only got to see a little of, and it appears to run very well; I think this has to do with an overhaul of the codebase to stomp out the cruft and the crap. I'm considering a purchase of the thing myself, so I pay attention to the posts that mention its performance. Now, I've seen the whole development cycle thingy from both ends - I was on the code-monkey side of things when DAZ|Studio reached 1.0. Yes you're right that all builds have bugs (moreso in Windows than Macs, mostly because of the HUGE variety of hardware and software configurations that Windows PC's come in, and the fact that Windows itself is not as stable as most other OSes). BUT... There is a huge difference between the bug-fest that Poser 5 was, and what we have now, so saying that it's all the same is silly IMHO. I do agree that buying blindly is just plain dumb, esp. for software that has three figures in its price tag. OTOH, if you are paying three figures for the thing, expecting it to work to satisfaction is a given, and it should be a given. In this particular case, the user was outside of specifications (Vista), so I don't have much sympathy. /P