Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT What's a bad monitor?

RedPhantom opened this issue on Mar 04, 2007 ยท 18 posts

Penguinisto posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 11:47 AM

Quote - Everything not-NEC or not-Sony (Sony really is second fiddle to NEC imo).

This I can agree with, with one exception - Philips. I had a 17" Philips CRT that I had bought in 1995, and gave it to my mother in 2003-2004; she's still using it today w/o problems as a basic home office monitor. I bought my current 25" NEC CRT monitor four or five years back (damn... can't remember), and it still works perfectly on my Mac. I stuck w/ CRT as my main monitor for three reasons: 1) Bang-for-the-buck vs. LCD... I spent $500 or so back then for it, whereas the best LCD I could get for that dough would've been 17". Things have changed a bit by now, but still, CRT's are cheaper. 2) Resolution. I run w/ 1600x1200 on my CRT, but can easily crawl up way higher. Most LCD's back then couldn't do much beyond 1280x1024 unless you were really willing to cough up the money. Today they've gone up, but you have to keep an eye out for that. Bigger monitors mean you can do higher resolutions. 3) Color calibration. Back then, you couldn't color-calibrate an LCD monitor w/o a very expensive monitor and even more expensive gear to do it with. I can do it by eyeball on the CRT, or get a cheap 'spider' (serial or USB connected automatic calibration device) to do it for me. Nowadays, LCD monitors can be calibrated fairly well, but not as quickly (or as easily w/ a spider - by eyeball it should be okay, though). But then, this is just MHO. If I had the dough nowadays, I'd go grab a large-ish Apple Cinema LCD monitor and be perfectly happy. However, since I don't have that kind of scratch, I went with what I could do at the time, and will prolly do so again when this one starts to fade. /P