Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Honesty in the galleries...no more suck up!

tainted_heart opened this issue on Mar 18, 2007 · 236 posts

tainted_heart posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 5:14 AM

Quote - It seems really rude to intentionally disrupt a serious discussion with multiple posts of cat pictures or broken beer bottles, or anything else not pertinent to the discussion.

Sorry to hear that you two feel that way.

Thread drift is a factor of forum life. We don't intend to rule the forums with a rod of iron, removing any OT posts. (That was tried back in 2003 and went down like the proverbial lead balloon, killing any feeling of community spirit and engendering huge resentment.)

We try to strike a balance here and I'd like to think that we achieve it probably 95% of the time. At least, the majority seem to think so ;-)

There's a big diffence between the thread drift of a thread that's winding down and the intentional disruption of an active thread...and I think you know that. This was definately not a case of thread drift. Normally, when a thread drifts, a member that is an active participant starts the drift after the discussion wanes. In this case someone, who was not a participant attempted to disrupt the thread and force it to drift while the discussion was still going. That should be discouraged...and in fact is likely a TOS violation.

From the TOS:

"Destructive commentary/communications made with the intent to disrupt or attack (Trolling)."

This sort of behavior should be discouraged because it is disruptive and it discourages the free exchange of ideas and opinions. It's childish, immature behavior which does not belong in the middle of a serious discussion. You, as a Moderator should discourage such disruptions instead of participating in them. I realize you think it's cute and harmless...but put yourself in the shoes of people that are interested in this topic. Imagine yourself trying to have an adult conversation in a group of adults and a bunch of kids jump in between you and start shouting and making noise and shoving pictures of cats in your face and...and you'll have a better sense of the impact. I bet all those kids would be getting a "time out" at the very least.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!!