Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Just got my new wide screen monitor

Darboshanski opened this issue on Mar 26, 2007 · 31 posts

Batesd posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 10:16 PM

One of the things I found out the hard way is that not all Lcd's are created equal. The first 3 I brought I wound up giving away to family members because the viewing angle was just to shallow. If I moved my head to far from side to side or up and down, the colors would change/brighten dim or whatever.

As someone that needed color fidelity as close as possible to photographic as I could get it, this was unacceptable. I need to know that the colors/shades I choose for my pics was/is true and not just an artifact of what angle I am looking at the screen from.

Eventually I learned about MVA and IPS LCd's and then eventually about Samsungs SPVA screens. Since I also am a Gamer, the best compromise of color and speed was an SPVA screen.

Right Now I am using a Gateway FPD2185W (widescreen) Its actually a rebadged Samsung screen since only they can make SPVA. There are a few small drawbacks to the technology, mainly that its a LOT more expensive than a plain TFT,  but The colors are so unbelievably awesome that you would not believe it without seeing it. People who have regular TFT'S and see my SPVA can't believe what they are looking at.

For those of you out there looking into going flatscreen, do yourself a favor and (unlike me) get it right the first time. If you also game and watch movies, MVA (viewsonic) and SPVA (Samsung) are the ones to watch. (keep in mind not all Samsungs and Viewsonics use this technology)

If Color fidelity as what you are all about then IPS (apple) Is the way to go, but your wallet will sob for mercy. These three LCD types are as close to a a high end regular monitor as you can get in a consumer LCD today.

Next year that will change, and I will be on the hunt again! :-)