Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Understanding Vista: what lies ahead

Mogwa opened this issue on Apr 05, 2007 ยท 74 posts

iggy23 posted Sat, 07 April 2007 at 12:41 PM

you know, its funny. Not funny ha-ha, but funny strange. Vista was released, and it was almost as if all the hardware and software manufacturers were getting it the same time as we, the public. Thus your printer probably won't work, cos XXX haven't written a Vista driver yet. Your scanner probably won't work, cos XXX haven't written a Vista driver for it yet. Your.... get the picture? I blame poor planning for this one - MS should have finished the OS, then released it to every hardware and software company they possibly could. Then sat on it for three months... and THEN released it to the public. But nooooo, they wanted it in the stores the day after new years, whatever the cost. Well, the cost is that everyone is complaining that their hardware/software is incompatible with Vista. And that Vista doesn't go OpenGL. And that Vista crashes their RAID. And don't get me started on Vista64...

OpenGL is there on Vista.. trouble is, especially with ATI, they took the new OS as a chance to re-write their catalyst drivers from scratch. So when Vista was released, the Vista version of Catalyst had... what could be described as alpha versions of OpenGL. Its getting better, we're now on Catalyst 7.3 and OpenGL works fine in Poser, DazStudio, Cinema4D, Second Life.. I'm not sure what the situation is with Nvidia, I think they are slightly ahead of ATI as far as their OpenGL goes, but not by much.

Nevermind.. by the time VistaSR1 is released at Xmas I'm sure everyone will just have about caught up :)

(please don't take my OpenGL spiel as gospel - thats just how I understand the situation to be, I could be wrong)