Forum: Photography

Subject: Don't take it the wrong way

PeeWee05 opened this issue on Apr 06, 2007 · 76 posts

thundering1 posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 3:34 PM

No on should feel their opinion - if honestly intended - wouldn't count. If your only experience with "art" is buying it only at your local department store, you opinion counts. You have every right to look at an image and say "ya know, that "red shirt" is just glaring - I can't take my eyes off of it, and it feels like it's just dominated your actual subject and  can't appreciate the image as a whole." You don't have to have any formal training and years of experience to know that something in this image doesn't work for you - and that's valid.

I actually only comment on images I really like - unless I see they specifically ask for critique - and even then I make sure to say something I DID like about it - I realize they wanna hear what does NOT work, but they also need to hear what DID work.

And yeah, the copy/paste method of comments is almost insulting - it's merely a "hey, here's my name, click on my gallery" tactic, and it's just silly.

When I peruse, I admit I pretty much only click on thumbnails that look promising - and it's almost always in the 3D galleries that I specifically choose (C4D, then Max, then Vue - sometimes XSI). My time is usually pretty limited during the week so I only really go to specific galleries.

I almost never actually peruse the Photography gallery - please don't take this personally - I'm trying to learn 3D. So my only interation with "photography" is within the Forum (here) as far as photography is concerned.

Enter your images in the Critique Threads - I think it was a fantastic idea (Inshaala - I seem to recall you had it). You'll get honest feedback - and even if it's not YOUR image, you can pick up some things about composition, lighting, angle, etc. Technical as well as creative.

One final note - back to the copy/paste comments - my last image was actually kind of a test (I think I'm about to get shot for telling you this, but here goes...). It was an image I was pretty sure only I would appreciate as it's a friend of mine and just something I did for personal fun for me and my friend. I loaded it to specifically see if I would get "Bravissimo!! HUGSS!!!" in my comments. I swear this person would copy/paste this comment on EVERYTHING and so far they've proved me wrong :-(

Let the flaming begin... Yes, I can take it, I'm a big boy.
-Lew ;-)