Forum: Photography

Subject: Don't take it the wrong way

PeeWee05 opened this issue on Apr 06, 2007 · 76 posts

TomDart posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 7:53 AM

When I feel a critical comment is needed I will do that..don't do it often enough likely.  With me, this has nothing to do with pat my back and I pat yours..that means nothing to me.

While newbies and developing artists(I am developing muchly because of this place) need critique, I am not going to flame them and beat them down.  If the image really needs helpful advice and I am able to offer that, I prefer to use the IM and "discuss" the image more than blast into it.  Then, I will offer more advice if the poster wants that, like "how I would have done it".

I have sometimes IM'd members who do really great work and asked them to look at a shot of mine and get back to me with thoughts.  This process has been likely the MOST beneficial.  When sincerely solicited, most will respond with honest and valuable thought.

Then...what is the purpose of galleries? A critique zone or a place to display what you consider your better work?  Or both?  Both, I would hope but I still reserve most critique for IM contact of a more personal sort.         TomDart.           

You can pat my back if you really like something I do..and critique if you desire..no probs from me there.  Afterall, I can easily decide to accept or reject the critique.