Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Why are DAZ High Polycount Meshes so Popular ?

RorrKonn opened this issue on Apr 18, 2007 · 266 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:46 PM

I use the DAZ figures because I like the way that they look.  And I strongly suspect that's the majority answer to the OP's question.

You can talk about polycounts, morphs, etc. all day long -- but what sells V4 to most users is the way that V4 can look in a render.  Regardless of the technical aspects of how she came to look that way.

Advertising?  I couldn't care less.  Peer pressure?  I couldn't care less about that, either.

I like the way that V4 looks in a render -- as I like the way that the other DAZ figures look in a render.  So that's why I primarily use V4, V3, SP, M3, Laura, et al.  The entire DAZ family.  So if I want to use those figures......and I do......then I have to use supporting hardware / software that can handle them.

I'd be happy to use other figures, too.  And I do so -- on occasion.  If someone else comes up with a figure which out-V4's V4, then I'll probably use that figure.  But until such a hypothetical new figure hits the market -- which hasn't happened yet -- I'll stick with my DAZ-figure loyalty.

Outside of a vocal few, I suspect that I am in the majority with these opinions.  "DAZ didn't make it" has never been a good reason to decide to use a given figure.  Although to some: "DAZ didn't make it" seems to be the #1 reason for going with alternative figures.

But for me: it's all simply a matter of asthetics.  And there's your answer to V4's popularity.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with polycounts: be they high polycounts, or be they low polycounts.  Or even polycounts somewhere in the middle.

It's not a great mystery at its base.  But to each their own on matters of taste.

The only time when I object is when others attempt to enforce their personal taste onto me.  Their taste isn't mine.  Nor does the taste of the most vocal tend to reflect the taste of the vast majority of the market.  And that's why the market looks the way that it does.  Because it's what most people buy.

Something To Do At 3:00AM