Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Looks like Poser 4 support is being abandoned

gagnonrich opened this issue on Apr 17, 2007 · 46 posts

gagnonrich posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 4:04 PM

Quote - On the side topic of the thumbnail dpi's... surely that makes no difference whatsoever to a screen image? Whether 72, 96, or 66,000, the number of picels is what matters when it comes to being shown on the screen.

Try inserting a .png thumb made in P5 versus P6/P7 into MS Word (or same a thumb in two different resolutions) and you'll see the difference. A 91x91 pixel thumb shouldn't be any different in size on a computer screen if there are different resolutions, but the difference is seen in Word. Larger resolutions result in smaller thumbs in Word. The difference is immaterial in the Poser Library. Since I started my index when P5 was the latest version, I've sized tables in Word for those thumbnails. 

Up till recently DAZ always included .rsr's in their original products and it was only with purchases from the recent sales that I've noticed that they mostly don't now. 

There are now more procedural materials and P5/P6 MAT settings being used in commercial items, but that's been a gradual thing that has been happening. DAZ held off providing dynamic clothing for the longest time, but there were a few offerings in the recent sales that included dynamic cloth. Some stuff, like including .bum files instead of .jpg with content had largely been abandoned even before P5 because of the lack of compression in .bum files that made them 10X as large as .jpg equivalents. Slower dial-up speeds, and bandwidth costs, forced that change and the .jpg files had to be converted back to .bum files by users.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon