Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Why are DAZ High Polycount Meshes so Popular ?

RorrKonn opened this issue on Apr 18, 2007 · 266 posts

patorak posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 9:23 AM

(Decloaking) Hi RorrKonn

When it comes to 3d modelling apps,  I recommend the app you are most comfortable with.  I use Lightwave 8.5.  I'm currently beta testing Lightwave 9.2.  I don't use Z-Brush,  but I've seen some great artwork with the Lightwave to Z-Brush combination. 

I don't have Poser 7.  I do all my rigging in Poser 5.  Poser 6's centers kept flying around when I would rig.  As for morphs,  I make my own with Lightwave,  export the obj then bring up the properties panel in Poser and load morph target.  ( Side note:  checkout www.flay.com they have some great plugins for Lightwave ) 

My figure poly counts range between 4k to 100k+ depending on the project.  Poser figures are between 25k to 35k give or take.  When I make my figures,  whether for Poser, Games, or 3d anatomy charts,  I start out with two edgelooped frames,  one for the head and one for the body,  based on Grey's anatomy,  adjust,  then fill in the details. Usually,  extruding edges ( keeping the polys uniform while tracing the reference picture ) and adding beveled discs ( ankles, knees, buttocks, belly button, and elbows ).  ( Side note: save the details to a parts box ).  If you would like,  e-mail me at chieftanoclan7@sbcglobal.net and I'll give you copies of the edgeloop frames.

If you are interested in creating you're own figures the first place I recommend is the 3d modelling forum at www.cgtalk.com .  especially the "post your favorite tutorial" thread.

As for rigging,  learn to rig in your 3d modelling app first, this will give you more options with your figures and you'll be able to apply the techniques to Poser.  I applied what I learned in Lightwave rigging when I isolated the hip bone.  My next experiment will be static bones,  that won't move, but will be able to lend their spherical fall off zones to smooth the mesh around different joints.  After that,  IK'ed body handles and who know's maybe a reversed foot rigging.  The main difference between Lightwave and Poser is this, Poser has groups,  Lightwave has parts.  Poser has spherical fall off zones,  Lightwave has weight maps. 

I've heard that Daz Studio is going to support sub-d,  I hope that Poser will as well.  Fbx support would be nice too.

Cheers,
Patorak