Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Why are DAZ High Polycount Meshes so Popular ?

RorrKonn opened this issue on Apr 18, 2007 · 266 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 12:49 AM

I've seen some Jessie and Sydney renders which looked very nice.  But Jessie and Sydney have one big disadvantage (outside of other, more technical matters).  And that big disadvantage stems from the fact that figures like Jessi and Sydney are playing catch-up to Victoria's overwhelming momentum in the Poser market.  Once that type of momentum and brand loyalty have been established: then it can be very, very difficult for competitors to overcome it.  If they ever can.

Plus -- and I know that all of this is a matter of pure taste (but the deep, mysterious secret of the matter is that the personal taste of the vast majority is the 'X-factor' which creates market popularity) -

......Victoria -- or at least characters created for Victoria -- have the 'supermodel' thing going for them.  And that's what sells Victoria.  Now this is a fact which has often been bemoaned in the forums in the past.....and all sorts of painfully contorted reasoning has been propounded in an attempt to explain away what in reality is a very simple-to-understand phenomenon.  It's not complicated.  Really, it isn't.

I think that the real problem here is that the taste of the majority doesn't happen to match the taste of some.  And those 'some' -- in a few cases -- are inclined to complain about the fact that the majority doesn't have the same taste that they do.  So.......we hear statements which imply things such as:

"If people out there were really smart and intelligent ((the way that I am)), then they'd all do things the way that I think that they ought to do them.  Then they'd like what I like -- and not the silly stuff that they all seem to be buying now.  No: they'd all be really smart and hard-working -- like me.  Not stupid and lazy like they are now.  Then they'd all use figure 'X'.  Not figure 'Y'"

For whatever reason, such matters seem to bother some individuals to no end.  So they gripe about it constantly in the forums.

Why people can't just let others enjoy what they enjoy -- without attacking them, and without making subtle or not-so-subtle hints about those other people's relative lack of intelligence and/or personal discipline for choosing to use one mesh over another.......I suppose that human nature is what it is.

Something To Do At 3:00AM