Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Sorry ... can't post FREE stuff here anymore

DAD opened this issue on Apr 21, 2007 · 326 posts

tainted_heart posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 4:02 PM

StacyG said:

Quote - I just mean that if you are the freestuff provider you need to post announcements in the Freestuff forum and if you WANT to link to that post in the freestuff forum in the Poser forum that is fine. I was referring to just announcing in this forum only and not using the Freestuff forum as intended.

This makes absolutely no sense. A freestuff "provider" can't post a link to his free stuff in the Poser Forum for example...but he can post a link to his free stuff in the Freestuff Forum, then he can post a link in the Poser Forum to the post in the Freestuff Forum that contains the link to his free stuff. 

It's absolutely absurd. That simply increases the number of posts, taking up more space on the servers, creating more page requests...it's crazy...crazy I tell yah! Why not use the Freestuff Forum to discuss free stuff, get help from the makers, make suggestions for free stuff we'd like to have, talk about the way various providers come up with ideas, what their work flow is, how to package it, what goes in what folders, where to find compressors and decompressors...let them put links to their files in which ever forum the want.

Let's say, hypothetically, I'm a free stuff provider and I create a model in .obj format, that I primarily want to share with Carrara users as a token of thanks for members of that forum. Not that I wouldn't want to share with everyone, but let's say I don't mind if others find it but it's really meant for the members of the Carrara forum. Why shouldn't I be able to post a link to it in the Carrara forum? Under these rules I'd have to post my link in the Freestuff form then post a link to the post with the link in the Carrara forum...thereby making the model accessable to everyone...defeating my purpose.

I can think of plenty of reasons to allow linking to freestuff in any forum...but I can't think of any reasonable reason to require freestuff links to be limited the the Freestuff Forum.

This is even more absurd than not allowing nudity in thumbnails when there is a perfectly good functioning nudity filter. In all my years here, I thought I'd seen it all...but this whole freestuff linking thing just takes the cake.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!!