Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: Site troubles

EnglishBob opened this issue on Apr 26, 2007 · 35 posts

Acadia posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 1:52 PM

Quote - Thanks folks - keep them coming. I'm convinced the fault must be with my hosts, not my ISP as they originally claimed.

You know, I used to have lots of similar trouble with my old host and like your host, they kept blaming it on my ISP. I had my site hosted with Bappy.com for years, and some of the problems that I had with them:

1. Like you, some people couldn't see my site;

2. DNS attacks on their server;

3. Long cache periods (they cached for 24 hours so any changes I made to files on my site were not seen until they emptied their cache) In addition my ISP cached too and sometimes the changes to files on my site weren't seen for 3 days!  Eventually after numerous complaints Bappy started to allow it's customers to dumb their site cache 2 times/24 hours, which helped. And my ISP started dumping their cache more frequently.

I moved my site to 1&1 Internet and have been happy ever since.  I have 500 gigs of bandwidth per month.. yes, that's 500 gigs!  And I have never had anyone complain about not being able to get to my site.  In addition to that they are a whole lot cheaper than Bappy.com.

I don't know who you host with, but you might want to look into a new host. I know there is 1&1 Internet for the UK as well. I'm not sure if the packages are the same as the one for North America though.  I have the "Home" package and it's about $4.95 per month.

If you do decide to change hosts and go with 1&1, if you do it through the following link, I get credit towards the hosting of my own site hint hint  hehe

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=8908008

I've been really happy with them. Another nice thing is that they bill twice per year so it's not a huge lump sum to put out at one time.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi