Forum: Vue

Subject: what's a good way/product for realistic heavy rain

wushen opened this issue on Apr 27, 2007 ยท 8 posts

forester posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 3:21 PM

Creating an animation of splashing rain in Vue can only be done through a fairly laborous process at the moment. (Again, because what you are seeing is hundreds of rain droplets come up from a surface where one has impacted.) There are some ways we can simulate this if you don't require a high degree of realism, if you are not going to need a close-up view of the splashes, and if you have a reasonably powerful computer.

I would have to build several sets of splashing rain still meshes, which I don't mind doing, and if you are going to animate these, you will have to work out a method for subsituting one set for the other at set keypoints. (Or if you have Vue 6 I, it is fairly easy to work out a Python script for this.) Actually, I can build at least one set for a close-up splashing rain - but you won' t want very very much of this because of the very high polygon count involved.

In the past, it has not been reasonable for me to build much in the way of splashing rain models because most people did not have powerful enough computers to use them. But this situation has changed in the last few years, and I am willing to construct these if people want them. Just let me know.

By the way, I am using the Realflow program to build these things - just so that you know you will be getting models and meshes that are physically accurate.