Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Collaborating? Victorian era villages etc...

Conniekat8 opened this issue on Apr 27, 2007 ยท 1329 posts

koosievantutte posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 6:49 AM

this is an idea how to proceed with the collaboration. they are just ideas of course and comments are welcome. there will have to be a map or ground plan, but first we have to agree on basics i think. we could have a form like the brown part in the image, which sets the measurements for the canal and the quays/streets. i thought it to be a good idea to have buildings which stand in the water at one side (like in dordrecht) and on the other side houses which are built on the quay (like in amsterdam) - this will look more intersting i think and gives more opportunity for people to follow their own ideas. the little red building is one way of making buildings fit, together with the possibility to make a very small alley between the houses - these alleys were very often only 1 1/2 metres wide and gave entrance to a door in the side of the houses. the way i planned it there is some room to vary the houses on the side where they are in the water - the difference can not be too much, maximim 1 to 2 metres perhaps (have to check this) and on the street side a maximum of 0,5 - 1 metre at the most. on the waterfront side there are small gardens or loading places when the houses are less deep so that in the end the canal is rather straight. this means there can be variety even in the depth of the houses - they can be as broad as needed for the type of building and in this way we prevent the grid look dvlenk mentioned. when somebody wants to make a building it would be wise that he gives the measurements and the type of building, after which we can draw it in on the plan, this helps others to see what is needed (otherwise we could end up for example with too many corner houses) the drawing is not to scale, just something to give an idea. on these canals houses to live in and warehouses were next to each other and shops and pubs were on the ground floor with the people living above them. there have to be made decisions as to styles. houses in holland were not painted - the black ones you see on pictures are 'oiled' an oily/tar solution to protect the facade from getting too wet. some houses lean forward, this is not because they are old or in bad shape, this was done on purpose as they had no drainpipes and in this way the facade was kept drier when it rained. half timbered or wood houses cannot be found in holland because they were forbidden by law after big city fires (there can be timbered houses in our town, of course, depending on what we choose). perhaps a 'fantasy' town would be good for participation.

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"