Forum: Photography

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts opened this issue on May 04, 2007 · 367 posts

LouLouBell posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 10:16 PM

Hi Y'all. 

Thanks kort for starting this thread. 
I am super passionate (ok maybe = obsessive) about IR Photography (some of you may know this and laugh!!)LOL. 

I have written an article that may be useful to post in the techniques section on rendo (but im not sure how to do this??).  Its a "word" based article so id be happy to email it to anyone who sends me a message request.

I know that a lot of the canon 300d, 350d & 400d cams have difficulty with focus and you have to experiment at the infinity end of the focus to get it right. The more portable compact digis (with "live" view screens work well) and movies in infra red look great too!!

I got my old canon 300d internally converted with an R72 filter plate and its just awsome and allows some blue light in.  If you use an 87c filter plate then you get the pure black and white images. I prefer the slight colour tints of the R72.

I agree that the custom white balance is the way to go ( i photograph a bitumen road to set my white balance by) but its fun experimenting with flouro and tungsten white balance settings as some of the camners produce quite striking colour casts of purple, red and blue!!

Bye for now
and cheers
Louise