Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: M4 ?

udgang99 opened this issue on May 02, 2007 · 101 posts

Zarat posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 11:06 PM

Yeah I totally forgot the joints, lol. Some Python should be able to take care of this. If not then maybe it's time to say goodbye to this usage of joints.

IMHO Poser shows some good advance from P4 to P7. There was great advance from P1 to P3 too but these version are a little old and different to be compared. If there's support for external renderengines in P8 that would be wonderful.
Anyways, DAZ's figures don't show this advance. Compared to Poser, they are more P4 level.
V2 was nice to use when it was actual, V3 was also nice to use but there were also many sessions in texteditors to fix the shoddy  files. V4 and 4.1 are even worse if it comes to textediting sessions. Often V4(.1) works fine, but if it doesn't then the big hunt for the error starts.
I have nothing against DAZ but if I buy a figure it should work. If it's a freebie and I have to fix some things than it's ok. But it isn't.

And just like ClawShrimp said for the other figures, V4 Base is totally useless for an Poser user. It's not even useless but it is annoying because if I can't change the figures appearance without much effort (deformers, modeling app), than it fails the concept of the target app.The free V3 Base is useless without Morphs, but for it is free it is a great figure.

By taking into account what customers say I mean to try to implement it in a product. If signs are that the implementation would cause more trouble than there was before it might be better to forget about compatibility. Similar to what SGI does with hardware for example.

Ican not tell how much DAZ cares about wishes and problems that users encounter because I don't know the responsible people at DAZ. From other industries I can tell however that, if one doesn't care about norms and other standards, the product is not made with perfection in mind but rather money. DAZ's INJ files and file management are no nice sight.

That this can cause higher costs is probable and costs bring me already to the hardware.
3D and HPC would fit together excellently. HPC and hobby is the problem.

I think most people buy new hardware if the old is either defect or so damn slow and outdated that almost nothing really runs on it anymore. looks at his dusty Alpha 733MHz...
While 64bit computing and PCI Ext. are stuff that was wide spread in the 90's and high tech in the 80's, for consumer PC's it's still top notch. The resulting huge rendertimes and low quality meshes to be able to render at all on mediocre systems are things that IMHO won't change during the next few years.

"Mass market" figures, clothes, environments will likely stay at some medium level, but if scripts and materials get better used, the result must not be that bad. Using these possibilities and focus on one app leave much room for improvements without much higher system requirements.
If there's a new figure, than this is something that should be used for it. A mindless thrown out figure-line is maybe good for business but not for improvement. Curious Labs/E-frontier did a  better job regarding this issue and Poser/Shade.