Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Which takes more memory?

RedPhantom opened this issue on May 09, 2007 · 25 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:08 PM

I'm willing to go off topic - and give you an award!
Here's what I get from googling BodyStudio:

BodyStudio translates your Poser shaders to Maya Shading Networks, and assigns them to the correct polygons on your characters. For easy transition, all of the base Poser shading parameters are translated into an equivalent Maya Shader Network, including:

Reading that, I would say it doesn't do any of the procedural nodes. What it does is translate numerical and color values on the root node as well as maybe track down a few ImageMaps connected to those things. They bothered to bullet list all the root node input channels and associated image maps plugged in, but if I were proud of this achievement I would have said that all the noise generators (fBm, Cellular, Fractal Sum) and all the math and so on were faithfully reproduced. Since those would absolutely be the hardest thing and just noting the colors and image maps involves just reading the P4 part of the shader (that doesn't represent nodes at all - just colors and file names) I'd say they do not in fact translate the Poser node based shader at all.

Note the phrase 
"*translates your Poser shaders to Maya Shading Networks"
*whereas you  said "the Poser shader 'networks' (as they call them)". In fact, that is not what they called them.

So I think they're talking about what you see in the mat room on the "Simple" tab. Not the full-blown procedural shaders that need a node network. I'm not impressed.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)