Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Lenticular Lense Freeware

gagnonrich opened this issue on Apr 25, 2007 ยท 17 posts

ZaxysDMI posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:37 PM

It's still true that you need interlacing software to "slice the image up" if you are making your own lenticular prints.

However, the tutorials I have written describe how to prepare your files to send to a printer who will do the interlacing (slicing) and printing. Lenticular printing requires more than just a stereo pair however. The printer I am working with uses 12 views on their 100 lpi lens and 6 views on their 200 lpi lens. Other printers may use lenses of the same pitch but may use a different number of views. When I worked for Kodak's Dynamic Imaging group we used 21 frames for one lens, 24 for another and 30 frames for yet another, but this required a printer with a resolution of over 2400 ppi. Lenses with the same pitch from different vendors will not perform the same.

I have been making my own on an inkjet for the last few years and using the lenses from Microlens. They offer a 60 lpi lens that is very good for 3D. I have used between 12 and 24 frames with this lens. That being said however I have found that there are a great number of lenses to choose from and each has different requirements when creating the views of a scene.So it took a lot of trial and error to find the proper settings.

What I've tried to do with the tutorials is reduce the number of variables and provide a method that will produce repeatable results for those that don't want to experiment with printing their own as it can get expensive by the time you have acquired all that is needed.

You need a high resolution printer, ink and paper, you also need lenticular lenses (preferably with an adhesive already applied), a laminator, lens calibratiion software, interlacing software, and lots of time to develop the skill required to align your interlaced printed image to the lens and get it through the laminator without losing alignment. Then there is the time needed to find the correct camera motion to create the necessary series of frames. Not enough movement and you get poor depth, too much you get a blurry mess.

While business cards and postcards are all we will offer to begin with our intent is to offer other lenticular products in the future such as plastic cups, jigsaw puzzles, luggage tags, etc. and eventually larger prints. Because this is a press based process it is not economical to do just a few and is just one reason why it hasn't been affordable. I explain why in the tutorials and cover some of the other methods used to create 3D lenticulars. Would you believe that 99.9% of the 3D lenticulars you see are NOT created with 3D programs but with layered Photoshop files!

ZaxysDMI