Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The Rules for Content Providers (yes, I'm looking at you)

Keith opened this issue on May 11, 2007 · 124 posts

Morgano posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 7:08 PM

If you want to read the readme, keep the original installation file (pretty good practice, anyway, in case a Poser library just Bermuda-Triangles on you, as happened to one of mine recently).   You can open out the zip file without actually reinstalling everything and you can read the readme.    Of course, if you do things that way, it's actually rather useful for the readme to be called something instantly recognisable, such as "readme".   Since the readme will contain a list of the other zipped files, you will also know how many bits of punctuation preface the file for which you are looking.

It's too late to establish control over the naming conventions and the fault really lies with whoever it was that established the way in which certain types of character take precedence over others (in other words, it's completely out of the hands of 3D vendors, brokers, or software developers).   It's not just the exclamation marks that affect the issue.   Numbers do, too, as do internal hyphens and underscores and the case of letters.   I have a V3 character which I use a lot, by a rightly respected vendor, whose Pose files reside in a folder with a mixed-case name.   That actually means that it comes after all of the ones that begin with "MAT" and that its position in the list doesn't have a huge amount to do with strict alphabetical order.   I use the set a lot because I like it, but it doesn't do any harm that it is easy to find.   In a way, very possibly accidentally, that vendor did ensure that her character got used (at least by me - admittedly, not exactly a surefire way to billionaire status), but can one claim that using mixed case for a folder name is stealing an unfair advantage?   Logically, the people who complain about the proliferation of exclamation marks ought also to object to mixed case, because it affects a folder's position just as decisively, if in not the same way.   

I am also not quite sure how people propose to enforce unique names for files, while simultaneously enforcing strict rules for folder names, since one trend would demand a wider range, while the other would reduce it.   I agree with the idea that vendors should try to create unique names for their files, but that is plainly impossible to enforce.