Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Use Cloth room to make cloths skin tight on all axes ?

RorrKonn opened this issue on May 11, 2007 · 30 posts

Letterworks posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 3:18 AM

There are a couple of tips that you should be aware of when using the cloth room for an operation of this kind.. For one you are best using a "basic:" model, leave off the details at this stage, details like seams etc. will be "stretched out" or distorted. Make it slightly LONGER than you want it to be in it;s final form. Make it slightly smaller than the figure you are fitting it to. Parent the clothing item to the BODY of the figure.

Reduce the figure by a percentage so that none of it pokes thru the new clothing item in Frame one. Push the animation bar up about 5 or 6 frames, I usually use a 10 to 15 frame animation for something like this. On the 5th or 6th frame Scale the figure back to 100%. The remaining frame sof the animation allows the cloth to settle and relax.

In the Cloth Room start your new animation with about 10 or 15 frames, clothify the clothing item, set your collision. One point here is that you can save a little time for the calculations by only selecting the figure body groups that actually can collide with the cloth.

Over on the cloth settings leave your Stretch Resistance setting low (you'll want to play with these settings a bit to get exactly the effect you want) I use like 5-25, set the Fold Resistance setting up in the higher range I use 400-500 if I want a smoth look when finished. You also might want to set the Cloth Density up higher to something like .2 - .3, this may help with keeping the bottom edge of your clothing from riding up as it stretchs around the figure, too high MAY cause it to stretch downward, I've had mixed results with this, but generally higher is better.

Once the clothing stretchs over the figure in a way that suits you (you may have to run the simulation several times to get the rgiht look), export it in your favorite format and take it into your modeling program. At this point you can do any final detailing you want.

If you are going to try integrating Poser into your work flow you might want to concider upgrading. From P6 to P7 the Cloth Room controls become a little more refined. Also P7 has thenew Morph Tool, which hasn;t really recived enough attention IMHO. I've recently started using it to "pull" small poke thru's and it's smoothing functions is really handy as well. The great thing is since it;s in Poser you can render the area(s) in question. I've noticed that sometimes poke thru doesn;t show up in my modeling program (I use Carrara 5 Pro), and even doesn;t show in Poser's preview, but shows up when rendered. Not sure why, but being able to push, pull and smooth right in Poser has become a big asset for the final modeling stages.

mike