Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is poser held to a higher standard?

kobaltkween opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 102 posts

Conniekat8 posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 2:38 PM

Quote - no, poser is held to the lowest standard IMVHO. the assumption is that the typical poser user's image will have bad lighting, bad/no shadows, bad/no facial expressions, bad poses, bad/no backgrounds, bad joint bending, bad/no clothes fits, bad/no image composition, et al. thus it is customary for folks to post congratulatory messages below poser images at poser-related sites, even if the image is poor, because we've learnt thru long experience that telling 'em their images are poor only results in lynch mobs and hurt feelings. that's why I encourage everyone to join the critique group. it will not only boost one's ratings, but the helpful comments will allow one to improve one's image quality.

What you are mentioning here probably contributes a lot to poser's negative stereotype.

Another part is that I've seen a number of flame war type post from slighted poser artists whom have ventured into the 'outside world' and instead of getting praise, like they do here, have gotten a hefty dose of critique, got their feelings hurt and got combative.  This too promotes the stereotype of poser being a low end wannabee artist application.

Unfortunately those kinds of unpleasant exchanges end up getting more exposure, then some very nice well done pieces in poser.

And yes, there are areas in which poser just doesn't cut the mustard. I think that when anyone from 'poser world' starts getting professional work, they end up finding that out sooner or later, and eventually moving to other applications.

Is it possible to get professional work using poser... well, that would depend on what kind of quality is needed, and in what timeframe. There is quite a bit of variation in what's needed in professional graphics. Many times it's not necessarily soimething that challenges the limits of a high end application or of a trained artist, and someone with a more limited application or skillset can probably do a very satisfactory job.

Could you make a movie like Shrek or some other money making 3D blockbusters with it, on time and within the budget...  I don't think so.

As for me personally, I like to tinker with poser, but having learned a fair amount in higher end apps first, I end up finding Poser very limiting in my particular creative process. Which is not to say that Poser has no merit. It's a surprizingly powerful application, especially for the money, and availability of content and community support makes it very fun to use.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support